Friday, June 26, 2009

Opportunities from the In-Between



The basement of USC’s Leavey Library – we sat in an enclosed study room amidst the sea of computers and eclectic crowd of students that seemed to radiate stress. For months we found the hidden hours to meticulously plan, research, and speculate about our project. Yet, three weeks into our journey in India those meetings seem distant in every way imaginable. Our naivety at the time makes me smile- we were silly to think that business-speak, whiteboard diagrams, and PowerPoints could adequately prepare us for the challenge of working in India.

As I write this post our FrontlineSMS project is at a standstill. However, I’m not ready to comment on the questions of exactly “why” or “how”. To be frank, I’m not sure I adequately understand the answers to those questions myself and so that book remains open. The resulting downtime, while unsolicited, has afforded us the opportunity to pause, to reflect, and to begin to observe our surroundings – with a view and mindset not available in the university library’s basement.

I’ve found that India’s sporadic power and internet connections have not hampered my research and exploration of a place that continues to baffle me. As I’ve ridden buses and strolled the crowded streets a number of ideas have popped into my head. The sight of a child playing feet away from a hog rooting through garbage prompts the question – “Where are the playgrounds” while collective cravings have led to a half joking proposal for a restaurant that would serve omelettes, black coffee, and other comfort items (all veg of course).

Our most promising idea can best be exhibited by the picture included above. Photography is an interesting tool- allowing us to precisely capture a moment and in our case, the memories of this trip. Yet between the millions of Facebook albums and the obligatory graduation shots, photos have grown routine- more of a duty than a luxury. That is not the case here in India. People here not only want to have their picture taken, they want to see the picture and inevitably own a copy themselves.

Watching this process first hand has personally snapped me out of my entitlement and presented an opportunity. Realizing how a simple photograph can be a tremendous source of pride – Jon and I have embarked on a mission to deliver that service to Hubli and donate the proceeds to acts of kindness. We’ve marched around to print shops, brainstormed logistics, and even tested the market with our neighbors next door at the middle school. While I anxiously anticipate the continuation of our FrontlineSMS implementation, I can’t help but contrast the way in which this entertaining side project has developed in a radically different way.

- Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment