Sunday, June 13, 2010

Namaskara!

It has been about four days since I arrived in Hubli and I am very excited to begin my project! We had an amazing orientation put on by the Deshpande Sandbox fellows where we were able to visit many local NGOs in the Hubli-Dharwad region. One of my favorite NGOs that we visited was the Karnataka Health Promotion Trust (KHPT) which focuses its efforts on the HIV/AIDS communities in Karnataka. This is one of the NGOs that my group will be working with during our two month stay. The site visit was very intimate, we were able to speak with many people from the community who were affected/infected by HIV/AIDS which included sex workers, children, and foster parents. The gathering took place under a tree in one of the villages and everyone in the community was so warm and willing to speak with us. Some of the women even brought henna so they could draw designs on our hands! The women and children were truly inspiring and I can't wait to begin working with this community.

No comments:

Post a Comment